Career Opportunity: Gulf Coast Regional Coordinator, Waterkeeper Alliance
Wed, 2010-07-28 13:34 | by Waterkeeper Alliance
About Waterkeeper Alliance: Waterkeeper Alliance is a global environmental movement uniting more than 190 Waterkeeper organizations around the world and focusing citizen advocacy on the issues that affect our waterways, from pollution to climate change. Waterkeepers patrol more than 100,000 miles of rivers, streams, and coastlines in the Americas, Europe, Australia, Asia and Africa. Learn more at www.waterkeeper.org.
About Save Our Gulf: Save Our Gulf is an initiative by Waterkeeper Alliance to support the Gulf Waterkeepers fighting to protect the Gulf Coast’s communities and environment from the long-term devastating impacts of the BP oil disaster. Learn more at www.saveourgulf.org.
Location: Gulf Coast
Job Title: Gulf Coast Regional Coordinator
Hours: 40+ hours/week. Must be flexible to work weekends or longer hours when needed, as this is a full-time, exempt position.
Compensation: Competitive non-profit salary, DOE, with health, dental, and vision insurance, vacation time and sick leave.
Synopsis: The Coordinator is tasked with working directly with the seven Waterkeepers directly impacted by the BP oil disaster. These Waterkeepers are: Galveston Baykeeper in Texas; Atchafalaya Basinkeeper, Louisiana Bayoukeeper, and Lower Mississippi Riverkeeper in Louisiana; Mobile Baykeeper in Alabama; and Apalachicola Riverkeeper and Emerald Coastkeeper in Florida.
Job Responsibilities: The Coordinator will provide facilitation and coordination of collaborative activity among the seven impacted Waterkeepers, including:
1. Facilitate a common and consistent regional Waterkeeper voice for issues relating to the BP oil disaster and its impacts.
2. Fundraise for activities related to the disaster that are common to the seven Waterkeepers participating in Save Our Gulf, including the programmatic activities of this position.
3. Create and pursue opportunities to advance the collective image, exposure and prestige of the seven Waterkeepers as related to the BP oil disaster.
4. Serve as an external affairs link between the shared interest of the seven Waterkeepers and Waterkeeper Alliance and other allied organizations, the media and the public, including updating and maintaining www.saveourgulf.org and Save Our Gulf social media channels.
5. Identify and facilitate participation in outreach and media, training, fundraising, policy and legislative opportunities that support the efforts of Save Our Gulf.
6. Maintain, analyze and report on the Field Observation tool results from www.saveourgulf.org to inform the Natural Resources Damage Assessment process, media, appropriate agencies, public and long-term restoration efforts.
7. Oversee and assist in the coordination of monitoring along the Gulf Coast.
8. Execute a regional work plan focused on the BP oil disaster.
9. Equitably assist individual Gulf Waterkeepers when practical to strengthen their ability to effect change.
Note: While the coordinator will, as a practical matter, be based in one location, he or she will be expected to provide support and assistance to all of the Waterkeeper organizations in the region, as related to the BP oil disaster. The coordinator must reach out and be accessible to all of the Gulf Coast Waterkeepers.
Required Qualifications: The Coordinator position will require a very broad skill set. Given the unique structure of this collaborative effort, the Coordinator will also need to be self-motivated, confident and able to work without direct supervision. At the same time, he or she will have to be an excellent listener and facilitator, and able to balance and represent various Waterkeeper positions and interests. The Coordinator will need:
1. A Bachelor’s degree, at minimum, along with three to five years of relevant experience, including a sound understanding of non-profit organizational management, budgets, fundraising, governmental policy-making and advocacy.
2. Knowledge, experience and background with water quality issues.
3. General familiarity and experience working within the Gulf Coast region.
4. A demonstrated ability to interact effectively with lawmakers and elected officials.
5. Experience and ability to both raise funds and also to develop and implement fundraising and/or strategic planning.
6. Familiarity with or the ability to readily adapt to the Waterkeeper culture and model.
7. Experience with team building and facilitating group processes.
8. Excellent written and oral presentation skills.
9. To be charismatic, likeable, and simpatico.
10. To be persuasive and a consensus builder with lots of energy.
Start Date: ASAP. This position will remain open until filled.
Applications: Send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Waterkeeper Alliance provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, military status, or states as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran.
Waterkeeper is a registered trademark of Waterkeeper Alliance, Inc.